Astor Piazzolla (March 11, 1921 — July 4, 1992) was an Argentinian bandoneonist, composer, and arranger with a recording career that began in the late 1940s and continued into the early 1990s. During the 1970s, he fused the arrangements of his native tango with elements of electrified jazz-rock and orchestral Third Stream. This approach — dubbed Tango Nuevo among connoisseurs — reached its apex on the artist’s 1974 release Libertango.
- La Historia del Tango. La Guardia Vieja (Orquesta, 1967)
- La Historia del Tango. Época Romántica (Orquesta, 1967)
- ION Studios (1968)
- María de Buenos Aires (Orquesta, 1968)
- Piazzolla En El Regina (Quinteto, 1970)
- Original Tangos from Argentina Vol. 1 & 2 (solo bandeneon, 1970)
- Pulsación (Orquesta, 1970)
- Piazzolla-Troilo (Dúo de Bandoneónes, 1970)
- Concerto Para Quinteto (Quinteto, 1971)
- La Bicicleta Blanca (Amelita Baltar y Orquesta, 1971)
- En Persona (recita Horacio Ferrer, Astor Piazzolla, 1971)
- Música Popular Contemporánea de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires. Vol.1 & 2 (Conjunto 9, 1972)
- Roma (Conjunto 9, 1972)
- Libertango (Orquesta, 1974)
- Piazzolla and Amelita Baltar (1974)
- Summit (Reunión Cumbre) (with Gerry Mulligan, Orquesta, 1974)
- Suite Troileana-Lumiere (Orquesta, 1975)
- Buenos Aires (1976)
- Il Pleut Sur Santiago (Orquesta, 1976)
- Piazzolla & El Conjunto Electrónico (Conjunto Electrónico, 1976)
- Piazzolla en el Olimpia de Paris (Conjunto Electrónico, 1977)
- Chador (1978)
- Lo Que Vendrá (Orquesta de Cuerdas and Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1979)
- Piazzolla-Goyeneche En Vivo, Teatro Regina (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1982)
- Oblivion (Orquesta, 1982)
- Suite Punta Del Este (Quinteto, 1982)
- Live in Lugano (Quinteto, 1983)
- SWF Rundfunkorchester (1983)
- Concierto de Nácar – Piazzolla en el Teatro Colón (Conjunto 9 y Orquesta Filarmónica del Teatro Colón, 1983)
- Live in Colonia (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1984)
- Montreal Jazz Festival (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1984)
- The Vienna Concert (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1984), CD: 1991.
- Enrico IV (soundtrack to the film of the same name, 1984)
- Green Studio (1984)
- Teatro Nazionale di Milano (1984)
- El Exilio de Gardel (soundtrack to the film of the same name, Quinteto, 1986)
- Tango: Zero Hour (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1986)
- Tristezas de un Doble A (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1986), Vienna, Konzerthaus, CD: 1991.
- Central Park Concert (Quinteto, 1987)
- Concierto para Bandoneón – Tres Tangos with the Orchestra of St. Luke’s, Lalo Schifrin (conductor), Princeton University (1987)
- El Nuevo Tango. Piazzolla y Gary Burton (Atlantic, 1987)
- Sur (soundtrack of film Sur, Quinteto, 1988)
- Live in Tokyo 1988 (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1988)
- Luna. Live in Amsterdam (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1989)
- Lausanne Concert (Sexteto Nuevo Tango, 1989)
- Live at the BBC (Sexteto Nuevo Tango, 1989)
- La Camorra (Quinteto Tango Nuevo, 1989)
- Hommage a Liege: Concierto para bandoneón y guitarra/Historia del Tango (1988) with Liège Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Leo Brouwer. The concerto was performed by Piazzolla with Cacho Tirao, the Historia by Guy Lukowski and Marc Grawels.
- Bandoneón Sinfónico (1990)
- The Rough Dancer and the Cyclical Night (Tango apasionado) (1991)
- Five Tango Sensations (Astor Piazzolla and the Kronos Quartet, 1991)
El Reloj were an Argentine symphonic/hard-rock band that formed in 1972. The band released two epo...
Miguel Cantilo (born Nov. 9, 1949) is an Argentinian singer/songwriter with a career that spans ha...
V8 were an Argentine metal band that released three albums on Umbral between 1983 and 1986. Membe...
Relax were an Argentine hard-rock band that released one album, Padre ..., on small-press Vedette in...
Rodolfo Alchourrón (April 25, 1934 — May 16, 1999) was an Argentinian jazz guitarist, composer, arra...
Pastoral were an Argentine folk duo comprised of guitarists/vocalists Alejandro De Michele and Mig...
Charly García (born Oct. 23, 1951) is an Argentinian multi-instrumentalist, vocalist, and songwrit...
Almendra was an Argentine blues-rock/psych band from Buenos Aires that released a self-titled album ...
Spinetta Jade were an Argentine super-band that released four albums between 1980 and 1984. Anchored...
Orion's Beethoven were an Argentine hard-rock/psych band that was active from 1969 until 1981. Two...
Lalo Schifrin (born June 21, 1932) is an Argentinian pianist, composer, and arranger who began his...
Pablo El Enterrador is an Argentine symphonic-rock ensemble that has been intermittently active fo...