Mike Westbrook (born March 21, 1936) is an English jazz pianist, composer, and bandleader from High Wycombe who directed the namesake Mike Westbrook Concert Band through five albums on Deram between 1967 and 1970. He then assembled the Mike Westbrook Orchestra with a veritable array of new-jazz nameplayers on saxophone (Alan Skidmore, Ray Warleigh), trumpet (Harry Beckett, Kenny Wheeler), guitar (Gary Boyle), bass (Harry Miller), and drums (John Marshall). The orchestra cut the 1971 RCA/Neon release Metropolis with Norma Winstone on vocals. In 1975, a paired-down lineup released Citadel / Room 315 with saxist John Surman as the featured soloist.
Between the two orchestra albums, Westbrook cut a pair of discs with blues-rock/jazz combo Solid Gold Cadillac. In 1976, he assembled the Mike Westbrook Brass Band for a three-album run, culminating with a live double-LP on Polydor in 1981.
- Celebration (1967 • The Mike Westbrook Concert Band)
- Release (1968 • Mike Westbrook Concert Band)
- Marching Song Vol. 1 (1969 • The Mike Westbrook Concert Band)
- Marching Song Vol. 2 (1969)
- Love Songs (1970 • The Mike Westbrook Concert Band)
- Metropolis (1971)
- Tyger: A Celebration of William Blake [cast recording] (1971)
- Citadel / Room 315 (1975 • Mike Westbrook Orchestra)
- Love/Dream and Variations (1976 • Mike Westbrook Orchestra)
- Plays “For the Record” (1976 • Mike Westbrook Brass Band)
- Goose Sauce (1978)
- Piano (1978)
- Mama Chicago (1979)
- Bright as Fire [The Westbrook Blake] (1980)
- The Paris Album (1981 • Mike Westbrook Brass Band)
- The Cortège (1982 • Mike Westbrook Orchestra)
- A Little Westbrook Music (1983)
- Pier Rides (1986)
- Westbrook-Rossini (1987)
- London Bridge Is Broken Down (1988)
- Off Abbey Road (1989 • Mike Westbrook Band)
Al Green (born April 13, 1946) is an American soul singer from Forrest City, Ark. Discography: ...
L'Infonie were a Québécois avant-jazz/psych collective that released two albums on Polydor in 1969...
Topper were an American psych-rock band from Independence, Mo., that released the album At Last o...
The Babys were an English-American hard-rock/pop band, originally from London, that released two a...
The 24th. Street Band were an American jazz-funk band from New York that released three albums on...